Advice on Engine Rebuild

To: 6-Pack <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Advice on Engine Rebuild
From: John Mitchell <jmitch@snet.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 07:55:49 -0400
Hi everyone,   I have my engine out of my 76 and intend on doing a
rebuild.  A leak down test showed an exhaust valve not closing all the
way and since I wanted to paint the engine bay anyway, I thought it was
time.  I'd like to push the the horsepower up toward 150 while still
keeping it looking like the original configuration.  I know I will need
a hotter cam and need to have the head milled for a higher compression
ratio.  I need advice on what to ask the engine shop to do.  I've never
gone through this process, so I'm little nervous about missing something
basic.  I assume everything should be balanced.  What kind of work
should be performed on the head, bores, crank, etc?  Do valve sizes need
to be changed.  What about porting?  I intend to use the stock manifold
which has been ceramic coated.  Any wisdom or personal experience would
be greatly appreciated.   Thanks in advance.               John Mitchell
76 TR6  BRG                Shelton, CT

Check out the new British Cars Forum: