Re: Stuck Caliper Pistons

To: originalmusic@adelphia.net ("Original Music"), 6pack@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Stuck Caliper Pistons
From: Acekraut11@aol.com
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 15:00:17 -0500
Hi Bob,

The best advice I can give is not to give up.  My calipers looked worse to
start than yours.  I have included a few pics of the calipers, the first being
a pic of the halves stripped to bare metal and the second after being rebuilt
and painted.

I have heard of the following methods to get the pistons out.

Some have used a grease gun with a fitting for the caliper.  Others have used
compressed air.  Another method is to reattach the calipers to your car and use
the brake pedal to force them out.  With all of these the use of PB Blaster and
time to help loosen the pistons is recommended.  Also be very careful should
you choose and method that forces the pistons out.  The pistons can and do fly
around when they release.

I chose another method.  I took my calipers apart and used PB Blaster, time and
elbow grease.  I was replacing my pistons with stainless so I wasnt worried
about damaging them.  I pounded them in to break the rust seal then worked with
two screw drivers on each side of the piston to leverage them out.  The caliper
half is pretty sturdy and I didnt do any damage to the calipers.  The pistons
were scratched but were unusable anyways.  Now removing all the rust.  That was
fun.

Cheers and good luck.  Let us know how it turns out.

Aaron
Topsham, Maine

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
IM001957.JPG]

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
IM001992.JPG]