Re: Frame Restoration Companies in the Northeast

To: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Frame Restoration Companies in the Northeast
From: "Jerry C Shaw" <slowtoaccept@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 19:51:31 -0500
Robert
I love it!

Nothing like posting a provocative message to elicit good response.

What's wrong with Auto Rust Technicians in Cranston?

Those of us who use logic,  a modicum of elbow grease and can read, can
unpeel the onion  to find rust in TR6s. Using a propane torch and a power
wire brush, I've found cracked welds, pinholes and suspected rust-through
spots.

It's the upfront "to start" (sandblasting and coating) costs of $1,500 that
ART asks for, that I find "interesting", given that it's 3X the going rates
of other suppliers, and doesn't involve welding.

Jerry's "secret weapon" is his TR6 welding jig, so he wants to extract a
$1,500 toll before being allowed entrance to the world of open ended welding
charges. Which, as he implies, is fine if you own an AH 1965 3000 MK III
advertised for $72,000 in Hemmings and don't want to get your hands dirty.

So, one onion layer at a time, and good luck to him and I'm looking for
other sources.

Jerry