RE: Ignition

To: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradicke@wishboneclassics.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Ignition
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 17:49:16 -0800
        Kai:

        I am going to take exception with the horsepower claim. The
speed of the flame front is strictly limited by the chemistry involved,
and is independent of the energy delivered during the ignition event.
The flame front travels at roughly 100MPH, no matter what you do. If you
could make it travel faster, then ignition advance would not be needed.
        Peak cylinder pressure therefore is also independent of spark
energy.
        I would be happy to recant in the face of some dyno data, but I
believe that a hot ignition system is more on the order of a preemptive
strike against misfiring, plug fouling, etc and of no advantage in the
power department.
        The wider plug gap once again is simply more insurance against
problems, not a power adder.

        Let the flaming begin!!!

        Cheers,

        Vance