RE: Trailing Arm Studs

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Trailing Arm Studs
From: "Steve Hanselman" <tr6@kc4sw.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 14:01:17 -0800
Steve,

I second Dick's information and add this.  Every one of my studs showed
some sign of damage, probably from being driven in a broke condition.
Once you find one bad, heli-coil all of them.  I had both trailing arms
off of the car and the 9 coils I put in took just under an hour.

Steve Hanselman
Tr6@kc4sw.com

Steve---If yu are referring to one or more of         stripped  six
studs that go into the aluminum trailing arm,  it would probably be
easier to remove the axle hub. This is not a difficult job at all, and
you would be in a better position to deal with the stripped stud. Could
be that it's the threads in the 'arm' and not the stud itself?

Dick

Steve writes:
Dear listers,
I am in the process of replacing the trailing arm bushes on my TR250..
One of the nyloc nuts spins on the trailing arms' studs, I suspect the
threads have corroded. Since this nut is behind the bearing/hub assembly
( accessible only thru the two socket holes in the rear hub assy) I
assume the only way to get it off is to back out the stud with a screw
extractor. Anyone have a better idea? Liberal amounts of penetrating oil
before using the screw extractor?
Thanks
Steve Lindquist
CD231L