RE: Holes in the frame

To: "Ron Landis" <Ron.Landis@kentcounty.org>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Holes in the frame
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 08:17:13 -0700
        Ron:

        The right way to do this is to cut out the offending metal
completely, and replace it with 16 gauge steel. Welding a patch over the
top of the holes will accelerate the corrosion underneath the fresh
metal. This will eventually destroy the repair. While it will
temporarily strengthen the frame if competently done, a patch applied
over the top is bad news for the long term health of the frame.
        My concern would be that there is more extensive damage in other
places (t-shirt pressing, trailing arm frame members, etc) that would
make the car unsafe. Take a screwdriver and poke firmly at these and
other locations in the frame, and make sure that you have no other
damage. If this is indeed the only damage that you have, it sounds like
it can be repaired with the body on the frame.
        Be warned however, that what occasionally happens is that there
is little if any metal in the surrounding areas that can be welded to.
Corrosion has often thinned the surrounding metal so much that any
attempt at welding simply blows through the metal. In this case you are
either looking at extensive frame off repairs, or simply swapping the
damaged frame for a healthy one from a donor vehicle. These are worst
case scenarios, however.

        Cheers,

        Vance