Re: Cam fixed?

To: vance.navarrette@intel.com
Subject: Re: Cam fixed?
From: DaCRANEz@aol.com
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 23:41:56 EDT
Vance
I meant to post you last week but got busy. I did get the crank and cam
timing fixed. It took one tooth on the cam sprocket. Changed the timing at the
crank 16 degrees. Had to move the dizzy gear one tooth to compensate. Also
found a
carb diaphram (sic) that had a pinhole in it-solved a vacuum leak problem
that had me stumped as they were new parts. It still runs like sh*t. Ran into a
pinging problem. Retarded timing which made idle worse. Right now I have it at
10 degrees static BTDC. Spark plug color is a nice light chocolate brown. It
accelerates briskly and runs at speed well but at idle the combination of lope
and heavy missing is very irritating. I guess the next step is to revisit the
Grose jets as It has a very rich smell at idle . I did swap the B1AQ needles
back to the B1AF but with no noticeable change. It is also dieseling which it
never did before. I had the dizzy rebuilt and recurved.  I checked it yesterday
and with an initial dynamic timing of 0 TDC it hit 24 degrees at 3000 rpm as
I had specified. All ignition parts are new. It is firing off the toe of the
rotor. I checked for misfiring at each plug lead with a timing light-they don't
miss a beat.
Maybe too much cam?  Geez-it's always something! Anyway thanks as always for
your input.
Mike C