Re: Unintentional Horn

To: "Six Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Unintentional Horn
From: "Jim Farris" <jfarris@troy.edu>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 08:57:43 -0500
Aaron,

We just completed a front end job - thanks for your pictures posted online,
they really helped.  In the process, we installed the "TRF steering wobble
kit."  Our intermittent horn appeared to be a bare wire just behind the horn
ring.  Our solution was shrink wrap for the horn wire.  There is a small
removable channel on the bottom of the steering cowl that holds the three
wire bundles coming out of the steering assembly (should be more than three
sets if you have overdrive).  The horn is a single wire (purple & ?).  You
may be able to get at the wire and pull it out to inspect it.  The horn ring
, behind the steering wheel is also removable.  We had the whole unit out,
what a PITA, but the car feels tight and the steering wheel no longer moves
all over the place in anticipation of turning.  And, the horn no longer
intermittently honks.  If you have to pull the steering column and cowl out
to get at the problem, pull both the speedo and the tach.  We already had
the speedo out and tried to do the work with the tach in - big mistake - it
was much easier to remove both and see what you were doing and be able to
reach all the nuts/bolts.  Bentley manual was very helpful.

Good luck,
Jim Farris