Re: Head gasket question

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Head gasket question
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 14:55:01 -0700
 Jeff---There is a path that oil can take across the head, from where it
feeds the rocker shaft, to the back of the block. It will only be
present if corrosion has taken place at this junction, and visable with
the head off.
     It has been reported, as Vance pointed out, that oil can seep out
from along the narrow casting edges at one side of the block. (Never saw
this happening myself)  What seems to be the most comon cause for oil
seepage is usually the valve cover gasket giving up its seal.For all the
world, it looks like it's coming from under the back of the head. Give
this a look!

Dick

Jeff wrote:
Hello,
I have a question on head gasket. I have a small oil leak running from
the head gasket. Engine runs fine but i always thought if head gasket
fails you see oil in the radiator fluid or you have radiator fluid in
the oil. You can tell by bubbling in the radiator with the engine
running or if you pull the dipstick and you have crud all over it. I
have neither. I have a '75 TR6, engine has never been touched, has
107000 ( i think), doesn't smoke and uses about a quart of oil every
3000 miles. Can a head gasket leak oil without any other symptoms? Do i
just need to tighten down the cylinder head bolts?
TIA,
jeff
'75 TR6
(met my new girlfriend after seeing me and car doing 90mph down I -35 ,
top down and having a ball, overdrive on)

Fast girl?