Re: Compression Readings

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Compression Readings
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 12:15:28 -0700
Nick----Compression (gauge) readings will go down (at cranking speeds)
when changing from a stock cam to one that has a larger valve overlap.
If the engine now is down on power, it is time to take another
compression test to see if they're all within about 10% of each other.
If one or more cylinders is down, a leakdown test will probably show
where the pressure is escaping.
190 sounds about right for the 10:1,  barring undue cam influence.

Dick

Nick wrote:
6pack@autox.team.net Subject: Compression Readings
I was wondering if anyone had any idea of what my compression readings
should be when I run a compression test. It seems the car just doesn't
have the kick it did. I had the engine rebuilt @ 3 years ago and I only
have @ 30-40K on it since then. I ran a compression test when I first
got the motor back but I can't find the test results, The number 190 psi
sticks in my mind but I just can't remember. I have 10:1 compression
ratio and Elgin 715-18 hot street cam.(I would compare this to Richard
Goods GP-3).
Thanks ,
Nick Gemas