Re: Clutch hydraulics

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Clutch hydraulics
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 23:19:16 -0700
Gary---It could be that neither the MC or SC is in need of repair. One
sign would be if either is leaking fluid. Pull back the rubber boot and
look for wetness at the pushrod(s).

If the fluid level in the MC was allowed to get too low, and later
topped up, there could be air in the system. (Bleed at the bleed nipple)
This would account for your being able to "pump up" to get clutch
release.

If none of the above, you can measure the stroke of the pushrod at the
SC. It should be close to 1/2 inch. If less than that, check for play in
the pedal box linkage.

If this all looks good, it's then likely that the problem is a broken
fork pin, which requires transmission removal to correct.

Dick

Gary wrote;
My clutch requires pumping to release, so it's time to rebuild or
replace a cylinder, or two. Is there an easy way to tell if it is the
master or slave cylinder that needs attention? I know, some may
say,"Change out both of them, the world will be a better place." I don't
suffer from shipwrights and always enjoy driving the TR more than
working on it.
Gary
'73