Re: Trip Carbs

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Trip Carbs
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 23:01:59 -0700
Mike---Oddly enough, sometimes lean mix will influence the arcing heard
under the distributor cap. Especially if the rotor tip is given a
"choice" as to which cap terminal to jump to.
Shortening the retard operating "spring" (it's more like a link) will
delay when the points open, so then advancing the timing to counteract
this first move will put the rotor directly under the terminal to
receive unquestionable  timing.  (This can be done a couple of other
ways. One is to file off the back end of the brass rotor tip. Hokey, but
works. The other way is neater but more difficult to explain).

Dick

Mike C. wrote:
Okay, I made a major amount of headway last evening on my triple carb
set-up. I replaced the bolts supplied with the kit with actual manifold
studs and nuts. I think that the bolts were bottoming out and not
drawing the manifold tight to the gasket and head. Still have an
irregular idle but I can hear a lot of spark scatter in the distributor
cap. Looks like the rotor is firing off the heel to #4. I am going to
try Dick Taylor's trick and shorten the spring on the retard module.
Also have a stutter on acceleration and low rpm stumble that may be
related to spark scatter or carb tuning. Linkage needs final adjustment.
Will report when I get it all sorted out. Thanks to all who pitched in.
Vance, I promise to leave it alone for a while. Mike C '71 TR6 Tri-Power
(add gorrilla grunt)