RE: harmonic balancer shift

To: "JIMMY RICHARDS" <andr.jrsquared@verizon.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: harmonic balancer shift
From: "Shawn J. Loseke" <sloseke@holly.colostate.edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 09:37:48 -0600
>===== Original Message From "JIMMY RICHARDS" <andr.jrsquared@verizon.net>
>I'm not sure that I've heard of this "shift" before.  Has anyone else
>experienced this?  I would assume that the remedies would be to replace or
>restore the balancer.

It is more common than most realize. Your harmonic balance/damper has a rubber
section between the mounting area and the belt pulley area. These dry out,
crack etc... and then when it cracks all the way around it will shift. Then
your timing marks are no longer accurate.

>Where might someone have a balancer restored?  Is this something that might
be
>swapped with another used one?  Are used ones generally reliable?

Due to the age of these vehicles, a used one might be good for a while but
will eventually suffer the same problem, or it could be worse. There are
rebuilders out there. here is a link to one such rebuilder.

http://www.damperdoctor.com/

I was turned on to a couple of rebuilders by my machinist. Yours might know of
some others as well.

>Thanks in advance,
>Jimmy Richards
>CF165--U about to get a fresh engine
>CF204--UO current ride

Your Welcome, BTW... been there done that bought the t-shirt. I fully suggest
rebuilding the damper. Not only for accurate timing marks but so that it
actually damps harmonics.

Shawn J. Loseke
Fort Collins, CO
http://www.triumphowners.com/79   (1972 TR6)