Re: Early distributor....

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Early distributor....
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 11:51:22 -0700
 Stan---Some suggestions here...You can get the distributor oriented so
the tach cable has some slack in it
First way is as Vance suggests, by jumping a tooth or two at the drive
gear. Know that there IS a proper position for the machined slot, when
looking down at it from the top. That is, with the timing pulley mark at
TDC, #1 firing, this slot should be clocked at "twenty to two". (Refer
to Bentley illustration here)
It could also be that your sparkplug wires are one hole off. (#1 should
be at seven o'clock)

To get your timing with the retard feature disconnected, you'll want to
set it to 10 deg. BTDC.  Do not set it to 4 deg. ATDC, (altho it should
idle OK this way) as this is the timing for when the retard is
connected.
You'll want NO vacuum influence when doing this setting. When
reconnecting the Advance, you will no doubt see further advancing of the
timing. Good for fuel economy, if not taken too far.

None of what you have done will have made this engine "cleaner", for
whatever that's worth to you. (Going to the retard only feature is why
Triumph did this, to satisfy US emissions compliance).

Dick
'73
Los Angeles

6pack@autox.team.net Subject: Early distrubtor on later carb engines
......I finally got around to trying this early distributor out and the
experiment failed miserably. First I had to rotate the distributor body
clockwise more than was reasonable...

...to get the engine to idle with 4 degree ATDC timing (advance
disconnected).

The distributor rotation was such that the tachometer cable barely
connected and it was clearly not right. Even with the correct timing at
idle the engine ran poorly, so poorly I didn't even venture out of the
garage.
Questions:
1. Am I wasting my time because there is no compelling advantage in the
vacuum advance and I should should stick with my original dizzy?
2. If I'm not wasting my time, has anyone done this successfully?
Thanks,
Stan