Electric Fan Wiring

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Electric Fan Wiring
From: michael lunsford <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 05:59:45 -0700 (PDT)
 In wiring my electric coling fan I just added another spade type plug to the
top fuse (switched circuit) on the fuse box.  I routed the hot wire (I used
black wire to disguise it somewhat) along the inside of the drivers side inner
fender apron with the wires to the headlights and on to the fan thermostat.  I
used the screw where you add oil to the steering box as a ground for the
thermostat.  It works fine and I have had it on my car for about three years
without any problem.  I installed the electric fan as a "pusher" and put it in
front of the radiator to disguise somewhat the non standard  look of the
electric fan.  I then removed my regular fan (yellow on the 1970 model) to
reduce the drag on the engine at higher RPMs.  The installation works fine with
the thermostat coming on at about 180 or so and going off at ???  The only
issue I discovered was that when the fan was running the car would run on for a
second or so after I turned off the ignition key until the fan stopped.
 Apparently the fan acts as a dynamo and feeds electricity back to the ignition
until the inertia of the running fan is spent.  I installed a diode (don't
recall the value) in the input power wire to the fan and that stopped the run
on.

By the way, a week or so ago I installed the second (to my knowledge) throttle
body fuel injection setup in the US on my TR6 . Aaron Cropley who is a 6 pack
net participant has the first one.  The TBI works great and the throttle
response is fantastic.  I have a small issue with a vacum leak, probably at the
bypass valve, but the system is 98% done and even with this issue works a lot
better than the ZS setup.  I got the throttle bodies and injectors from Rick
Patton at  patton@suscom-maine.net and the computer setup from John at
CustomEFIS2@aol.com .  NFI on either of these guys but I applaud their
intrepidness in adapting something off of a 2.8 liter V6 Chevy motor to our TR
6s.  I expect to have my car at the SE Regional VTR at Jekyll Island Sept 29
through October ??.  Hope to see some of the six pack net guys and gals at this
event.

Mike Lunsford, 1970 TR 6