RE: Seat belt question

To: "John VanNorman" <jvannorman@wowway.com>
Subject: RE: Seat belt question
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:46:29 -0700
        John:

        I have a 74-1/2 as well, and have done this so I can speak to
it. Be aware that if you hook all this stuff back up, your car will not
start until the seat belts are fastened, doors are closed, and the car
is in neutral. If you stall your car in traffic, you can restart in gear
as long as you do not turn the key to the off position.
        There should be 2 pairs of wires to each side (passenger and
driver). There will be a long pair (goes to seat sensor) and a short
pair (goes to belt receiver) on each side.
        To verify which is which, check the color of the wires in each
pair. One wire will always be the same color (black I think, for ground)
and the other wire will be a different color. Using my "Captain Lucas
Galactic Decoding Ring", they are as follows:

        Black/Gray - Passenger seat sensor
        Black/Red - Passenger belt receiver
        Black/Blue - Driver Seat Sensor
        Black/Brown - Driver belt receiver.

        I recommend the Captain Lucas Galactic Decoding Ring if you can
find one, I got mine NOS at a swap meet =:-o
If you can't find one, check your owner's manual it should have a wiring
diagram in it.
        When you get tired of following the rigid procedure involved in
starting the car (Doors closed - check. Transmission in neutral - check.
Passenger belted - check. Driver belted - check. Etc...) just disconnect
the seat sensors and the neutral switch. You are not illegal, as the law
requiring the seat belt interlock was revoked by Congress less than a
year after it took effect. Mobs of angry voters on the capitol steps,
congressmen who couldn't get their new cars to start, etc, took their
toll and it was repealed.
        I personally would like to have the belt light come on, but no
interlock. This requires everything hooked up, but at the seatbelt
module you disconnect the wires to pins 11 and 12 and short the wires
together. My decoder ring says these are the White/Red and White/Orange
wires. Take these wires and connect them together after disconnecting
them from the seatbelt module. I have not yet tried this, but that is
what my decoder ring says.

        Vance