Re: Da missing brake fluid

To: "\"Ron Landis\"" <Ron.Landis@kentcounty.org>
Subject: Re: Da missing brake fluid
From: "John & Allison Cyganowski" <janah@att.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 07:05:52 -0400
<snip>

I assume it is in the Servo.  Does this mean seals are all bad and now
the diaphragm is bad too?  Does this mean a $300 rebuild ??

Now to the questions.  Has anyone used Apple Hydraulic for a rebuild??
If so how did they do?  Are there others out there that rebuild master
cylinders and biisters?  Would you risk a used servo and master cylinder
off Ebay?  If you do a rebuild does one get the brass sleeves or go with
the over sized holes and pistons?

<snip>

Hi Rob-

Let's take the servo first.  No, I don't think it means a $300 re-build.
Your servo might be fine, but just full of fluid.  You could try to clean it
out.  Rebuilding it yourself is a big chore to get it apart and I am not
sure the internals are readily available.  I do not know how old the servo
is or if cosmetics are important, but I can recommend Partco Automotive.
http://www.partcoautomotive.com/  They rebuilt mine for $88 and I think that
was delivered. They were also fast (<2 weeks turnaround).The also blast and
repaint the outside. I hear that sometimes they repacakage  the servos when
the paint is still tacky.  They did this with mine and I do have some platic
prints on the servo body, but that can be removed by a once over light wipe
with mineral spirits.  You might ask them to be sure yours is fully dry
before packaging.

I have not used Apple Hydraulics, but I have seen some references in the
postings to other folks that will resleeve the MCs. I would not risk a used
servo and master cylinder from ebay. You just don't know the history of
these. Plus on many of the cars that you see for sale, they often talk about
new master cylinders and or clutch and slave cylinders.  I think these parts
are just prone to leak with age. I sometimes have this problem ;-).  I was
in your boat not too long ago. Very soon after I got my car, I seemed to
suffer a general hydraulic systems failure.  It is true the car had not been
run much over the last 8 mo or so, but I suspect someone used an
incompatible fluid in the brake and clutch master cylinder.  Having
consulted the list, here is the opinion that I have arrived at: The Brake
System is a mission critical system.  Another  way if putting it is that, if
your brakes fail suddenly or unexpectedly - you are in deep shit.  You and
you passenger could be severly injured or worse.  Since my passengers are my
wife or my kids, I think that I want the best most reliable parts possible
in my brake system.  So I bought a brand new MC for ~ $189.  The money was a
pill to swallow, but I will make more and I now feel very confident that
master cylinder will function when I need it.

Just my $0.02 worth,
John Cyg.