Re: Brake lights

To: "Walter Fogle" <lbc4me@hotmail.com>, <6Pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brake lights
From: "James Franks" <jimmble@adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 09:38:03 -0400
Walt,

Sounds like a possible grounding issue. I would probe the green wire at the
brake bulb socket watching the light  while someone pressed the brake,
(it'll light up) then turned on the lights. Since the test lamp will ground
through a different path (I usually clip it to the trunk lid catch), my
guess is the test lamp will stay lit. Examine the bulb sockets. It is VERY
common to have the 'ear' that connects the ground path to the bulb from the
metal fingers that contact the taillight housing to be broken. If you are
handy you may be able to repair the socket. If not, last time I checked they
were available from your favorite supplier as a new part.

If the sockets aren't broken, a good cleaning of the sockets and bulbs
followed by a check that the black wires connected to the corner of the
taillight housings are free of corrosion, and you should be back in
business.

If the test lamp goes out when doing the check above, it'd be more puzzling,
since both taillights and brake lights come off the same fuse.

Do the taillights stay on when the brake pedal is pressed, or do they go out
as well? If both go out it could be the fusebox.

The first thing is to get that test light connected, though.

Hope this helps,

Jim