window mechanism

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: window mechanism
From: SamuelsMA@aol.com
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 20:32:34 EDT
Listers:

I finally have an actual technical question worthy of the list (as opposed
to stupid questions about why my trunk light doesn't work--headlights need to
be  on!).

Anyway,  My passenger side window has been detached from the window  winder
mechanism.  I took off the door panel and found that the  brass-colored "glass
channel" was lying loose in the bottom of the  door.  It had separated from
the bottom of the window where it is  supposed to sit horizontally and grip the
bottom of the window glass.   The 2 wheels on the window-winder scissors-type
mechanism are supposed to move  within this channel to push the window up and
down.

My question is:  Once I get the winder and the glass channel mating
properly, how do I attach the channel back to the glass so that it doesn't
separate
again?  The bottom of the glass does have a black rubber piece  gripping it
which fits pretty snugly into the channel, but I don't think they  will stay
mated forever.  Anything wrong with putting some silicone sealant  in the
channel
before slipping the pane of glass into it?  I'm talking  about the horizontal
glass channel here, not the vertical channels which keep  the glass square in
the door and guide it as it moves up and down.

Thanks.

Michael
'76 Tahiti Blue