Re: Howling from timing cover area

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Howling from timing cover area
From: Jay Snable <jsnable@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 17:46:16 -0700
Somehow my original message got lost in the ether, so I apologize for
my follow-up post that must not have made too much sense. The short
story is that my car has a sound coming from the timing cover area
that alternates between a "bad belt" sound and a true howl. The
howling sound in particular changes when the clutch is pushed in. The
sound was still there even after removing the fan and pulley. I have
taken off the timing cover and sump and don't see anything obvious -
some brass sparklies and a small amount of gray sludge (probably from
an old cam that lost a lobe).

Mitch V. responded with a tensioner related howl - very possible as
this is a pretty new tensioner and chain (<500 miles, but a lot of
idle time - didn't make any noise until yesterday). Anything else I
should be looking at? I will probably pull the bearing caps to see
how things are going (I rebuilt this engine 14 years and 30K miles
ago), and I will check the crankshaft end float.

Thanks,

Jay
'73 TR6