Ignition Switch Revisited

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Ignition Switch Revisited
From: <jfarris@troy.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 08:34:17 -0500
Recently, my son was stuck when the electric portion of his
ignition switch disintegrated as he tried to start the car
(73 TR6).  Luckily, the steering lock still works and the
dangling wires and plastic circle provided easy
access to hotwire the car so as to be able to drive it.

The number on the old switch, 30364B, produced no luck for
replacement.  Level 2 sales at one of the big 3 came up with
a complete mechanical/electrical switch as a replacement -
the electrical portion is a #36748A.  It is not a direct
replacement.  The old switch has three double male
connectors on it, numbers 2, 3, and 5; and three single male
connectors, number 1 and two without numbers.  The new
switch has one double male connector, number 3, three single
male connectors, numbers 1, 2, and 5, and what appears to be
two very small holes in the middle for round pins, numbers 4
and 6.  Additionally, when we removed the old mechanical
portion of the switch (steering lock), there is a
black/green wire coming out of the left side (fender side)
of the mechanical portion of the switch.  I can't find that
black/green wire in Haynes, Bentley, or McMasters.

Anyone got a solution for the switch replacement, hopefully
the plastic, electric portion only that doesn't require an
EE degree to install?

TIA
Jim Farris