Re: Slippage, + Hub Replacement

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Slippage, + Hub Replacement
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 16:31:11 -0700
 Gary---I'm not sure if I understand the "slippage" that you feel is
taking place in the "drive side hub". This is a direct drive, so what's
to slip? Partially sheared key?
Or does the car now not move at all?

On the rear wheel hubs...I replaced the one on the right side at 300,000
miles because I could make this wheel rock about 1/8" from top to (tire)
bottom.  The one on the driver side is still solid, so it's still in
place. (I do have a used spare handly, should I find it necessary while
purchasing a rebuilt one).

Meanwhile, your clutch (bearing) should NOT squeal! Did you use a
"Genuine" Gunst? (There is at least one knock-off brand being sold, but
even ths one did not squeal when I bench-tested it)  Otherwise, using
the alignment dowels and preloading the bearing (which keeps it
spinning) should eliminate the major source of any squealing. Write
back, if this squeal bugs you, as it would me!

Dick

Gary F. wrote:
6pack@autox.team.net Subject: Slipping Clutch Part 2
Some may recall my recent message on a strange slippage in the clutch on
"Grape Ape" my 74 Magenta TR 6. Well, everything arrived in time for me
to button him up with visions of TRials dancing in my head. Even
installed the Gunst Bearing (which squeals by the way) and a TSI
flywheel. How could I resist when it was staring me right in the face?
Long and short of it is that while the clutch works like a charm now,
squealing excluded, it led me to the source of the real problem. The
drive side hub assembly (or most of it) I broke under some hard
acceleration and cornering. No Richard, THAT I don't have on the shelf.
Sooooo, no TRials for me this year. I would write what I'm thinking but
they would find me and put me in a dark hole for a LONG time. All of
this said, Todd is bringing a proposal for 6-Pack consideration which in
spite of my absence I hope will get serious consideration.
Cheers to all,
Gary Fuqua
Branson, MO

Dick Taylor, Vance, et al. a quick question, I can get a complete new
hub assembly from Moss. Should I just bite the bullet and replace both
sides at the same time? Are there better options? Many thanks!!