Wild ammeter behavior

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wild ammeter behavior
From: "Steve Lindquist" <lindquistse@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 18:30:17 -0400
While driving to Maine last weekend in my TR250 I noticed that my
ammeter needle  would periodically swing wildly from "C" to "D" and back
again.  It normally sits right at the center of the dial.  I tried to
see if it was related to rpm, as I was driving at Interstate speeds, but
it still seems to periodically flake out at any speed

I am assuming this is an alternator problem,  (could be diodes or could
be mechanical ( bearings)).  Any past experiences?  What are my options
for diagnosing/repairing this little surprise?

Thanks,

Steve Lindquist
lindquistse@charter.net