Re: Here comes another one!

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Here comes another one!
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 22:55:12 -0700
Kevin---If the teeth-to-keyway location on the new sprocket is different
than the original, I wouldn't be too concerned at this time about making
a new registration mark at first. Better to go ahead and set the new
sprocket on the crank with #1 piston on TDC. Then get the cam and its
sprocket located to where #11 and #12 valves are "on the rock" (both
opened the same amount). If you are using the same cam sprocket, it may
already have a registration mark on it. When the cam is in the correct
position, you can then "draw a line" across to where you can punch a
dimple in the new crank sprocket, which will help in future
reassemblies.
See illustration in the Bentley manual for this.

Note that the bolt holes in the cam sprocket can be oriented to "split a
tooth".

Dick

Kevin wrote:
New crank sprocket has no registration mark on it. How can I be sure to
line it up right? The old one had the keyway right under a tooth, and
the mark was about a tooth and 2/3s away. The new one has the keyway
right under a "trough". Can I measure the angle of on the old one fron
the keyway to the registration mark, then transfer that angle to the new
one?

Other suggestions?

Kevin