Hot Carbs and Heat Shields-A TR6 Prospectus

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hot Carbs and Heat Shields-A TR6 Prospectus
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 10:23:00 -0400
I saw this over at the Triumphs list

Don Malling

A number of TR250/TR6 folks are interested in this subject.

Before I put a heat shield  on my TR4 vintage racer, the domes on the carbs
we VERY hot to the touch. When I hand fabricated the heat shield and installed
it, the domes actually became cool to the touch.

Uncle Jack (Drews) and I have independently fabricated our designs for our
respective vintage racers and both have been effective. Kastner did his long
before we did, of course.

Jack & I also have street cars...mine a TR3A and Uncle Jack's is a TR6. You
would think that after over 40 years of messing with this stuff, it wouldnt
take this long to figure out what an impact heat has on our street cars.  Duh!
Performance reducing, if not fuel percolation and 'vapor lock'.

Jack said, yesterday, he made a high speed run to the "Cities" (Moline, etc)
and found his TR6 carbs too hot to touch upon his return. He has been having
problems with his SU conversion. That all being said:

We have been working together on a couple of Heat Shield designs for the
Street TR6. I have three basic variations in mind. Of course the one that is
most
effective, is the most difficult to manufacture. If you are interested in the
progress of this project and/or would like to provide some input, I can put
you on a list of prior inquiries.

If you wish, provide:

Name
Email Address
Year TR 250 or TR
Manufacturer of Carbs

There is no plan to manufacture for Triple Carbs and Webers.

Thanks.  Joe Alexander  N197TR4@cs.com