America's Reliability Run donation plea

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net,
Subject: America's Reliability Run donation plea
From: "Blake J. Discher" <bdischer@blakedischer.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 20:56:32 -0400
Hello fellow Triumph enthusiasts,

Only one week left until myself and 46 other vintage British cars
leave on this year's America's British Reliability Run so I wanted to
give you all an update on fundraising efforts, say THANKS for your
donation or consideration, and in words we all can relate to, give a
"last call" to those who intend to donate but haven't done so yet!

As you know, the run is a two-day, 700-mile endurance run of sorts,
fashioned after those run by John Macartney (jonmac on this list) in
England.  The purpose is to raise money for the National Children's
Cancer Society <http://www.nationalchildrenscancersociety.org/> while
driving our British cars.  This year, the route is through Michigan,
Ohio and the covered bridges region of Indiana.

As a point of interest, not only have the numbers of classic British
cars entered increased with each year, so has the media and other car
related business attention expanded.  This year, "Automobile
Magazine" is fielding seven cars in the run.  They belong to
columnist Jamie Kitman and are being shipped from out east courtesy
of Passport/Fedex Transport to be driven by seven staffers, including
their Editor, Jean Jennings to test the reliability of British
steel!  They're working to get donations by publicizing the Run on
their web site and in the magazine and will definitely help with our
goal of surpassing last year's fundraising total.  Read all about it
in their magazine or on their web site:
<<http://automobilemag.com/features/0510_british_reliability_run/>http://automobilemag.com/features/0510_british_reliability_run/>.

Overall, several of the 47 registered teams (see them at
<http://abrr.org/2005registeredcars.shtml>) are nearing or exceeding
the individual goal of $500 per Team.  Unfortunately, the current
total fundraising amount is "only" about $17,000.  Less than hoped
for, and less than what we raised with a similar number of cars last
year - due understandably to donations being given to the recovery
efforts of the hurricanes in the south and the high cost of
petrol.  But, with a little last minute push on every team's part,
I'm confident we can get much closer to the original goal of meeting
last year's total of $33,000.

As a reminder, you can send a check (no matter how small) payable to
"National Children's Cancer Society", to ABRR, 1363 East Fisher
Freeway, Suite 8, Detroit, MI 48207; or as a number of you 21st
century types are now doing, go to our event website
<http://www.abrr.org>  and make your donation simply and quickly with
a credit card via a secure server available on the home
page.  Because teams pay all of their own expenses (about $350-400),
your donation is entirely tax deductible.

We'll take lots of photos and mental notes along the route to share
with you when we return - please wish us well!

Cheers,
Blake Discher
Please support these generous run sponsors:
Little British Car Company <http://www.lbcarco.com>
Hagerty Insurance Company <http://www.hagerty.com>
Passport/Fedex Auto Transport <http://passport.fedex.com/>