Re: Clutch Survey Feedback

To: Ryan van Luchene <Ryan.van.Luchene@celeradiagnostics.com>
Subject: Re: Clutch Survey Feedback
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 22:40:34 -0400
Ryan van Luchene wrote:

> Aaron and others,
>
> I had a shop (whom I no longer patronize) install my Gunst bearing kit a
> while back.
> They did it for free since it was the 3rd time i had brought the car back
> for Sticky Clutch symptoms (originally using BPNW's Sachs/TLC bearing
> setup).
> They kept in the Sachs P/P and disc as they were supposedly fine to keep
> using.
> The idiots "had a problem installing the preload spring" and mangled the
> metal strap in the process.
> Looked like they tried drilling the hole with a pair of pliers and an egg
> beater drill.
> So I have been running the setup without the preload ever since. It worked
> fine, until just recently when the bearing started making the Whimper when
> the clutch pedal is depressed. I'll look at my records and try to figure
> out how many miles it's been in there, i'm thinking probably a few
> thousand miles.
>
> So, it doesn't matter what brand P/P is in there, it'll squeal eventually
> without the preload strap.
>
> I would be curious to know if there is anyone who has Gunst installed
> correctly with preload strap that has experienced any clutch squeal, as
> well as those who DON'T have the preload strap and are NOT experiencing
> squeal? Noting the mileage of the clutch would be key here as well.
>
> Ryan
> '71

Dick Taylor mentioned using the allignment dowels to ensure the bell housing
and clutch T/O is
exactly concentric with the PP and engine. Gunst also STRESSES the use of the
dowels, and supplies
dowels with his kits.

If anyone wants the Gunst Instructions I can send them.

Don Malling

 From his instructions.

Important! Prior to installation make sure
the two dowels between the engine plate
and the gearbox are present. Missing
dowels can cause rough jerky clutch
operation as the release bearing is not
centric to the clutch (see drawing)
The same applies for the two dowels
between engine and engine plate.
When renewing the release bearing we
recommend to check the complete hydraulic
mechanism, especially the thrust pins of the
release fork should not show any sign of
wear! As they are riveted and available as
spare parts, they can be replaced with the
proper tools. Otherwise the whole fork
needs to be replaced. The release bearing
should not be used with a clutch having
rounded spring tips. In sporadic cases it
can cause whistling noises.

Installation of the Release Bearing
1. When installing a new release bearing make sure the clutch is in a good
condition. Especially
check that
the spring tips are in the same position parallel to the flywheel and do show
not any signs of wear.
Worn
spring tips restrict the rotation of the bearing and consequently prevent a
soft clutch action.