Re: Differential Pinion Oil Seal

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Differential Pinion Oil Seal
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 23:04:42 -0700
Jim---The hole in the diff mount bracket is larger than the oil seal's
diameter. These seals are a bugger to remove because they shoulder
against the diff case. Not much material to get hold of on the seal, so
yes, you will mangle it while trying to remove it. It is MUCH easier to
remove this seal by tapping it out from the inside, out. This assumes
that you are also going to refurbish some of the worn parts in the diff,
as they seem to all wear out around the same time.

Dick

Jim S. wrote:
Can the Differential Pinion Oil Seal be removed and replaced without
removing the front mounting bracket?
  I've removed the castellated nut and tried to pull the seal out. I
moved it forward a bit and bent it up significantly, but I'm starting to
think the hole in the mounting bracket is smaller than the seal diameter
and holding it in place? Or, do I just need to persuade it a bit more?
Thanks,
Jim Schlemm