RE: Bearing End Float

To: <horr@bellsouth.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Bearing End Float
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 10:38:17 -0700
        Howard:

        If memory serves, the front axle stubs are UNF 20 threads per
inch, which means that one full turn on the castle nut moves 0.050". You
could tighten finger tight, and back off say, one half of one flat on
the nut. That would be 1/12 of 0.050 or about 0.004".
        Technically, you want to use a dial gauge with a magnetic base
and measure the end float in that manner, but if you don't have a dial
gauge, the above method will work.
        Me bad. I just tighten them finger tight, set the cotter pin and
call it good.

        Vance