Re: gasket dressings

To: kmcnelis@nmsu.edu
Subject: Re: gasket dressings
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 12:09:32 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 kmcnelis@nmsu.edu wrote:

> About ready to re-install the head.  I have used a 55 gal drum (or so) of
> hylomar HPF on all the botton end gaskets, but what (if anything) should I
>use
> on the head gasket and the manifold gasket?  1972, stock cam, weber carbs (2
> only) and header exhaust.

You really don't need any dressing on the head and manifold gaskets.
Occasionally, when there are sealing problems with the head gasket, you
can use something like a copper "dressing", but if you put something like
hylomar on the head gasket, you'll have TONS of trouble seperating the
head from the block later on.

Install the head and manifold gasket D-R-Y.

> Kevin

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx