fuel pressure gauge

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: fuel pressure gauge
From: SamuelsMA@aol.com
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 22:14:04 EST
Listers:

On one of my previous posts, I mentioned that I had gotten some advice to
check the fuel pressure from my pump as part of the full checklist on
determining why my front carburetor runs rich.  The idea was that the fuel
pump can
malfunction by pumping at too high a pressure.

I went to my local auto parts store and they did not have a fuel pressure
gauge (or fuel pump test gauge).  Any suggestions about where I would get  one
and what it would cost?  Should I just have a local mechanic test the  fuel
pressure for me?

BTW, I did remove the float cover and checked the floats, which were  fine.
The air valve moves up and down without binding, although I could  not see a
way to remove it from underneath to check for dirt.  In order to  remove it for
checking, do I have to take off the carburetor top and  diaphragm?  Or is
checking the movement enough?

I am still waiting for the mixture adjustment tool, which should arrive in  a
day or two.  I thought I would go through everything methodically before
just leaning out the mixture.
Thanks.

Michael
'76 Tahiti Blue