Pilot Bushing Woes

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Pilot Bushing Woes
From: "John & Allison Cyganowski" <janah@att.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 06:27:22 -0500
Hi All-

The OD of my new bushing appears to be too large to fit into the flywheel.

My old bushing measures 0.9993" OD x 0.4970" len.
The new bushing is 1.003" OD x 0.4554" len.

Does anyone know what the specs should be for these bushings?  What should
the clearance be between the OD of the bushing and the flywheel? Do they
float in the flywheel or do they press fit in? Do I need to hone the bushing
race in the flywheel?  Somebody advised me to use wet/dry (I assume
sandpaper) on the bushing to help the fit.  I don't think this is a good
idea as the bushing is poros and I am afraid of picking up grit that won't
clean off.  Why is the lenght so short compared to my old bushing? (I do not
have the long backed crank.)
Curiosly the ID seems okay.

John Cyg.
'70 CC52927LO