RE: Sort of lame question

To: "Mark Hooper" <mhooper@digiscreen.ca>
Subject: RE: Sort of lame question
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 10:07:45 -0800
        Mark:

        In theory, no. The torque is used to gauge bolt stretch, and the
assumption is always that the bolt is not binding when it is torqued. If
you are breaking bolts and stripping things, I think your bolts are
defective or corroded (which weakens them) or your torque wrench is not
calibrated.
        My experience with anti-seize is that you want to use it in very
few locations, since bolts have a tendency to back out when they are
lubed with anti-seize. There are special lubricants for assembling bolts
that will not have the issues that anti-seize does. Anti-seize is good
for exhaust manifolds and other locations where corrosion is a
particular problem, IMHO.

        Vance