RE: Shopping List of Nuts & Bolts

To: "Todd Bermudez" <red_tr250@yahoo.com>, "Six Pack"
Subject: RE: Shopping List of Nuts & Bolts
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 08:19:51 -0800
        Todd:

        Grade 5 is solid and less expensive fastener than grade 8.
Having said that, grade 5 tend to be most common in coarse thread in the
US, and may be hard to find in fine thread. Grade 8 on the other hand,
is only available in fine whenever I have looked (once again, I am
pretty sure you can find coarse thread, but it is a much less common
application, best I can tell). The fine thread weakens the bolt less,
and is more vibration resistant, but is more prone to galling and cross
threading..
        Another consideration is corrosion resistance. Because corrosion
weakens a bolt dramatically, the grade 8 stuff is cadmium plated for
corrosion resistance, which adds cost. Many grade five fasteners are
plain steel for cost reasons, although I am sure you can get them plated
as well (usually zinc?).
        Stainless is nice for cosmetics, but you cannot use it in any
high strength applications, as it is usually no better than grade two
for strength. SS is nice for exhaust manifolds and stuff that tend to
corrode rapidly, but otherwise should be avoided.
        So, is there a preference in there anywhere? My preference is
for originality and so fine thread grade 5 when you can get them. Just
my preference.
        No, I don't see a problem with using coarse thread if you cannot
get grade 5 fine, but in many cases you must use fine thread because of
captive nuts, engine blocks, etc that are already fine thread and cannot
be readily replaced.
        As for a compiled list, once upon a time there was a complete
list of needed fasteners for the TR6 on one of the club websites. It was
an excel spreadsheet, and was intended to allow you to select SS
fasteners for a restoration. But I'll be darned if I can remember where
it is. Does anyone remember? It wasn't a Nelson Reidel article, so it
should still be out there somewhere.
        I think I would opt for complete body fastener kit for that part
of the job, however. The moss kit comes with new reinforcing plates,
rubber strips, etc that are not off the shelf items. Makes it go much
faster during reassembly.

        Cheers,

        Vance