RE: DASH Lights: LED replacements

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: DASH Lights: LED replacements
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 11:36:38 -0800
        Dave:

        Interesting observations, with several things I had never
considered.

        I have found that simply relamping all the instruments to be
extremely helpful, as the bulbs do dim somewhat over time even if they
are still working. The filaments will evaporate some of the tungsten
onto the inside of the bulb, lowering the output. In addition, the
lighting rheostat can get cranky, further reducing the output. New bulbs
and some switch cleaner will work wonders. I would recommend that a TR
owner give that a try before opting for a custom solution for dim
instrument lights.
        For dim headlights, I have been recommending that people simply
replace whatever they have with modern sealed beam quartz/halogen
headlamps, at the same wattage as the standard headlamps. 40% more light
with no custom wiring or alternator upgrades required. I mention this
because I wonder if there are quartz halogen replacements for the
instrument bulbs. That might be a very simple upgrade for people, if
lamps of that sort even exist.

        Vance