Re: Fuel delivery problem

To: "Campsmith, Michael" <mgc4@cdc.gov>, 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel delivery problem
From: Dale <tpdwinch@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 13:20:07 -0700 (PDT)
Michael

  The first thing I would do If I were you is to get rid of the screen inside
the clear filter.
  If this is the quarter size filter that is about 3 to 4 inches long. It does
not take much for these to block the flow of fuel to the carbs with this type
filter. The screen micron size is very fine.

  If you are afraid to get curd into the carbs, temporarily replace it with a
plastic fuel from Fram. See if you still have the problem. If not you have
found the source.

  If this has not solve it then check your fuel pump on the out flow side with
a pressure gage to see what is happening. This can be done by removing the line
to the carbs inserting an adapter and the fuel pressure / vacuum gage.

  There should be enough gas in the carbs to start the engine for this test. it
is good to have some one start it while you watch the gage. This will tell you
if the pump is up to the job.

  After all this, get the fuel in the tank down to almost nothing and remove
the line from the tank. See if there is curd there. It would be a good idea to
install a fuel filter in this area so that any curd does not get into the fuel
pump.

  Dale

"Campsmith, Michael" <mgc4@cdc.gov> wrote:
  Fellow listers:

I'm having an intermittent fuel flow problem with my 1974 TR6 and wanted
to get your thoughts on possible causes and solutions.

Three weeks ago I was driving in town and the car started to sputter and
cough under load, but if I pushed in the clutch it would rev normally.
Finally it stalled and I coasted into a parking lot. When I popped the
hood I noticed that the see-through fuel filter was only about 1/3 full.
I let the car sit for a while and started it back up; however it only
drove another half mile before it stalled again. The fuel filter was
again less than full and this time I disconnected the hose from the
outlet side of the filter--fuel flowed freely out of the filter. I put
everything back together and drove home without incident. Since it was
a hot day and the tank was near empty I thought it might have been due
to low volume so I filled the tank and forgot about it.

Today I was on the highway driving to an event in north Georgia when it
did the same thing. Same stalling, same nearly empty fuel filter, same
ability to drive home after I confirmed fuel was flowing through the
filter. When I got home the fuel filter was observed to be full.

The car was apart from February 2004 until May 2005 for a frame off
restoration. I drove it all last summer without incident, including
3,000 miles in one week. Now I am afraid of getting stranded until I
figure this out.

Mechanical fuel pump is less than a year old and is the expensive one.
The fuel tank and rigid lines are original, although I did clean them
thoroughly (at least I thought so) before reinstalling last summer.

My best guess is either a bad fuel pump or a blocked line. Anyone ever
have a fuel pump fail intermittently?

I'm going to put the old fuel pump back on (was working fine when I
replaced it) and drain some fuel out of the tank in case any crud is
blocking the outlet. Other than that I don't have a guess.

Your ideas are most appreciated.

Michael Campsmith
1974 TR6 (now BRG)

Blab-away for as little as 1"/min. Make  PC-to-Phone Calls using Yahoo!
Messenger with Voice.