Re: Miata Seats in a TR6

To: "James Henningsen" <trguy@cfl.rr.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Miata Seats in a TR6
From: emanteno@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 03:09:32 +0000
From: "James Henningsen" <trguy@cfl.rr.com>

> Listers:
>
> I am very much interested in putting some Miata seats in the 6. I read a >
>post that identified a fellow in England selling the adapters so you can use
>the stock seat rails. A little pricey to ship over the pond so does anyone
>have a technique they used with success (besides drilling new holes in the
>floor pan?
My good friend Ernie Husmann wanted to put those seats in his TR6, and he
designed a pair of brackets and had them made up. His brackets use the stock
seat rails, and do not require drilling into the TR6. They DO require partial
disassembly of the Miata seats in order to install the brackets. He had a set
of brackets made up for me, cost was about $40. I did the install myself, and I
had no previous experience taking seats apart, but it was very straightforward.
I even got them back together. The seats are great, and are well worth the
effort, especially if your original seat foams have dried out and turned to
powder like mine had. Ernie's instructions and diagrams have been scanned and
digitized. Although the quality of the scans is not good, I think it is good
enough to get the picture across. Ernie sold his TR6 in order to fund his
vintage race Spitfire project, but I have the files. I'll happily email them to
anyone who would like them.
Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U
Highland Park, IL