Re: Basic Lockup?

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Basic Lockup?
From: "Jeff Fetner" <fetnerj001@hawaii.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 22:38:59 -1000
George,

   Is it possible 2nd gear was engaged without first disengaging 3rd?  I
happen to have the top cover loose on my spare transmission (that I'll
rebuild someday).  I pulled the front synchro hub back to engage 3rd gear
and then the rear synchro hub forward to engage 2nd.  That locks the box up
solid.  Of course the gear selector mechanism is designed to mechanically
keep this from occurring.
   The only way I can see this happening is the 3/4 selector rod and fork
must have stayed put when your daughter moved the shift lever back, left,
and back for the downshift.  Maybe the nub on the shift lever that operates
the selector rod ends is worn enough to move from one to the other without
the rod ends being lined up (i.e. in neutral).  Given enough wear in the
shifter ends of your selector rods, is it possible in 3rd gear to twist your
shifter clockwise a little and make a diagonal pull to engage 2nd?  Lifting
the shifter a little, along with excess wear/poor adjustment in the two
shifter side screws may exacerbate this effect.
  When you selected reverse, it must have put the selector shafts back where
they are supposed to be.  Pull the top cover and look the shifter mechanism
over for wear and slop.  It may have been a very unlucky alignment of
factors - look at the gears for damage.

Jeff
'74 CF13816U