RE: fuel problems

To: "Greg Perry" <rgperry@earthlink.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: fuel problems
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 09:20:35 -0700
        Greg:

        I am not speaking from experience here, just what I have picked
up on the list.

        The glass filters apparently are very prone to clogging, so I
would replace it with another filter. I am using a Purolator, and have
had no problems. There are many alternatives available for a couple of
dollars at your local auto parts store. You are out very little if this
is not the cause, so at least try a different filter until you get the
problem sorted out and then go back to your glass one when you have a
baseline.
        If the needle valve is sticking, you may be able to get away
with simply cleaning it. IPA will not work, but lacquer thinner will
work very nicely. If you are going to clean one, you should clean both.
I have used lacquer thinner and it is very effective at removing just
about anything. A bit scary how effective it is, really. I am past my
child siring years, so I don't worry about things like fumes, tumors or
genetic mutations. I have had a funny twitch develop since using it,
however.... =:-o
        Unlike others on the list, I have had good luck with Grose Jet
needle valves in my ZS carbs (well, so far at least). You may want to
simply consider replacing your needle valves, but don't let shipwrights
disease set in! Otherwise you will end up overhauling both carbs, then
as long as they are off you might as well port the head, then what the
heck put that hot cam in, lighten that flywheel and do a big honkin'
overbore, then.....

        Vance