Frame Straightening

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Frame Straightening
From: "Corbitt, Michael" <Michael_Corbitt@ous.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 14:05:19 -0700
In a past life my TR6 has been hit on the right side near the back of
the door.  The frame has a noticeable indentation here and the right
rear end of the frame sits noticably higher than the left side.  I have
all new suspension in both the front and rear ends of the car so hogging
does not appear to be an issue.  Also, same tire pressure.

It took me a couple of years to realize the body is not even close to
being symmetrical when I look up the sides of the car from the rear.
The left side of the car almost looks like you could fit a straight edge
the full length of the car.  The right side looks as if the back edge of
the door is a fulcrum point and from there back the body angles in like
a boat tail.  I've looked at a number of other TR6s and they all seem to
have a gentle inward sweep from the doors back to the rear edge of the
trunk.

The car drives fine, but I would like to straighten the body if this can
be done.  I have some serious gaps on the back edge of the right door,
and the trunk lid has some large gaps on the left side.

So I'm thinking of taking the TR6 to a local body shop with a frame rack
and having them adjust the frame.  It costs $250 just to have the car
hooked up to the rack so I would like to make sure this is the correct
approach before I spend the money.

Have any of you spent the money to have your frames straightened?  Did
you get the desired result?

Are there questions I should make sure to ask, or other do's and don'ts
for those of you that may have gone this route?

Are there other alternatives that I should consider?

A question of curiosity.  Do the bolts that secure the body panels need
to be loosened before they start adjusting the frame?

Thanks for any help.

Mike
Corvallis, Oregon (the sunshine state)