RE: ignition switch

To: "Harry Hart" <hhart2404@charter.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: ignition switch
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 13:26:36 -0700
        Harry:

        You can thank our government for protecting us from ourselves on
this one.

        The bolts securing the ignition lock are "torque to shear"
bolts. They have a rather peculiar shape:

        ____
        \  / __
        ----    Bolt shears at the neck when torqued
       --
       --
       --

        When tightened, the head of the bolt shears off, rendering the
steering lock "tamper proof" as required by federal law.

        Cheers,

        Vance