Windshield washer pump

To: marcus@schaper.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Windshield washer pump
From: Rick Norris <rnorris1@swbell.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 09:15:48 -0700 (PDT)
Marcus, I replaced the washer pump on my '75 with one that I picked up at the
local NAPA store. It is almost identical to the original with the exception of
the case being made of plastic. I had to drill out the rivets that attached the
orignal to the reservoir lid and drill one additional hole in the lid as the
screw holes don't match exactly. Other than that, it fits and works...sort of.
Only after installing the replacement did I find that there likely may have
been nothing wrong with the original but haven't been able to figure out the
problem.

  Both pumps fail to move the liquid to the nozzles and both begin to overheat
fairly quickly when turned on. I have blown out all hoses and all are clear and
clean. If I hook the pump directly to the battery it shoots the liquid quite
nicely. I have to assume that the problem is electrical and probably related to
the switch but don't know where to begin checking and really haven't spent much
time on the problem. The wipers work just fine and, in my case, since the
vehicle has only seen rain once, the washer pump isn't a major issue but I'll
get around to it one day.

  Good luck,

  Rick Norris
  CF37597U