RE: Engine upgrade vs supercharging

To: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>,
Subject: RE: Engine upgrade vs supercharging
From: "Shawn J. Loseke" <sloseke@holly.colostate.edu>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 15:09:47 -0600
>===== Original Message From "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com> =====
>Seth, thanks for the insight. I'm surprised that adding the supercharger is
having such a dramatic affect on the chassis. I know these are traditionally
weak areas anyway but I was expecting that adding the SC would bring the unit
up to the same level that the early PI TR6 was (150hp) and no major mods would
be needed to an otherwise intact frame. I may have to reconsider that as I
plan to take the diff out for a refurb this winter..

>Stan

Stan, remember that the newest factory chassis is now thirty years old. Metal
fatigue can be coming into play here as well as thirty years of exposure to
moisture etc... So even if the frame looks solid, its probably not as strong
as the day it left the factory. Many shops in England that uprate the power of
TR6's and build 'fast road' cars, are finding that they also have to reinforce
the chassis in the differential area. Not just the mounts for the diff but
also the crossmember tube shock conversions. Something more and more people
are finding necesarry here in the states as well. The extra barcing isn't
much, and if you already have the diff out then it's even easier to
accomplish. The frames do not have to be seperated from the body to accomplish
these re-enforcements.

Shawn J. Loseke
Fort Collins, CO
http://www.triumphowners.com/79   (1972 TR6)