Re: [6pack] plug fouling in traffic

To: samuelsma@aol.com
Subject: Re: [6pack] plug fouling in traffic
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 12:43:46 -0700
Michael--- I'd try a set of hotter plugs. (BP5...?) Or Champion NY14....

If that doesn't do the trick, then a CD ignition unit, such as the
MSD6A, should keep the plugs firing under duress.

Dick

From:
samuelsma@aol.com

Listers:
I have a question about fouling my plugs in traffic.B First, the car is
a '76.B It has 9.5 to 1 compression, porting, a header, K&N filters, a
lightened flywheel, and rebuilt carbs by Kai Radicke (a year or so
ago).B I have set up the mixture adjustment so that the plugs come out
"cardboard color" on sustained highway running.B The car runs smoothly
and pulls strongly with a set of new plugs.B I use NGKs (can't remember
for sure, but BP6ES sticks in my mind).
The problem is that I live in Miami.B That means that there will be
times that I take the car on a trip, such as to my secondary office
about 20 highway miles away, but get stuck in huge traffic jams.B In
fact, this happened on Wednesday, and I didn't get out of first gear for
over an hour.B Under those circumstances, I can just feel the car run
rougher and rougher as the plugs foul up.B That day, I tried revving the
car in neutral from time to time to try to keep the gunk burned off the
plugs, but it didn't help.B The only thing that did work is that, when I
finally got past the second accident and the road opened up, I was able
to get the car to highway speed for about 20 minutes and it ran OK after
that.
I'm afraid to lean the mixture too much and burn my pistons with normal
highway running.B I'm thinking that a higher heat range plug might have
the same problem.B Any thoughts?
Thanks.
Michael
'76 Tahiti blue