[6pack] more on fan belt clearance

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] more on fan belt clearance
From: "Loriot, George" <George_Loriot@Brown.edu>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 08:40:22 -0400
Hi Listers,

Don't want to be a pest but I'm still having problems with the fan belt
clearance on my 76 TR6  (1/2" fan belt doesn't clear steering rack).  As you
folks have noted correctly, the front engione mounts were sagging,
particularly the right side, so I got new ones (TRF "no-sag") and am
installing them.  Still have problems, what am I doing wrong?

Everyone says to loosen ther mounts and jack up the engfie.  So I did that,
putting a jack/wood under what is about the center of the engine, just behind
the crossmember.   It doen't jack much bwefore it seems like it's lifing the
car as well.  I somehow got the old mountd out and jacking does move the
engine relative to the frame but soon begins to lift the car as well.  Ity
seems like there's still clearance at the bell housing, what could it be?
Exhaust header needs to be disconnected?  Is there some other place that
should used on the pan to lift he engine to tilt the front and not the entire
engine (and car)?

Right now I have the engine on the jack, left mount in position, but I can't
get the engine lifted from the frame enought to get the new right side mount
in place.  The old one was compressed enough to be removed (with a bunch of
not-so-nice words).

Any ideas from the list's wisdom?   It looks like I need to lift the engine
front at least 1/2" to clear the steering rack for the belt.  Not to mention
installing the right side mount.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

George Loriot