RE: [6pack] Windscreen gasket

To: "Steve Lindquist" <lindquistse@charter.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [6pack] Windscreen gasket
From: "Shawn J. Loseke" <sloseke@holly.colostate.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 20:01:32 -0600
>===== Original Message From "Steve Lindquist" <lindquistse@charter.net> =====
>I am about to replace the windscreen to body gasket on my TR250 after last
>weeks' thunderstorm showed me its shortcomings.  References refer to
>additional watersealing such as " Seelastic".  I was thinking of a small
>bead of RTV under the gasket.suggestions?

 I was under the impression that the windscreen to body seal does not use ANY
type of sealant. Instead, brand new gaskets have a built in 'curl' that makes
a very positive seal when installed. You have to continuously pull the curl
flat as you slowly tighten the windscreen mounting bolts to create that seal.
The windscreen can be hard enough to remove without 'gluing' it to the body.
The chrome finisher  windscreen capping (on top of the windscreen) where the
convertible top secures to the windscreen is a good place for such sealant and
does often leak without it.

Shawn J. Loseke
Fort Collins, CO
http://www.triumphowners.com/79   (1972 TR6)