RE: [6pack] Re: Nitrogen

To: "Oliver" <sumton@sbcglobal.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [6pack] Re: Nitrogen
From: "Shawn J. Loseke" <sloseke@holly.colostate.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 23:49:18 -0600
As Jack explains... Kevin's comment was very 'tongue in cheek'. I don't know
which was worse, that I didn't think of it first, or that it took me a few
seconds to realize his joke. :(

As to why Nitrogen can be 'better' can be one or more of a couple of reasons.
Including... Nitrogen particles are larger and therefore are less likely to
seep through the rubber of the tire (Yes, your tire rubber is still permeable,
it is not 'perfectly' air tight). Another is that it doesn't expand with heat
(as Bob referred to in an earlier post) and thus the pressures remain
steadier. Which is also why many race teams use it in there tires.

One reason that tire shops try to upsell to Nitrogen is because your 'average
consumer' hardly ever check the air pressure in their tires and are truly
supplying superior customer service by allowing the tires to be filled with a
more 'inert' gas that holds pressure much much longer.

Another adavantage is supposed to be less condensation in the nitrogen than in
regular O2. Which means fewer rusty wheels... if your steel using 'steelies'.

Shawn