[6pack] thermostats

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: [6pack] thermostats
From: SamuelsMA@aol.com
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 08:50:21 EDT
I have posted a few times in the past that I have problems with plug  fouling
with low-speed running (in traffic, or if I do some short trips).   I tried
hotter plugs with no change.  Always, the plugs look great with  highway use,
but foul quickly around town.

I got a very useful reply from Kai indicating that dyno runs with an A/F
meter could provide useful information and might lead to my selecting different

carburetor needles with less richness at low rpm.  I may do this in the
future.

Anyway, the point of this post is that I have been running a 62 degree
thermostat, which was in the car when I purchased it.  The temp gauge  rarely
gets
above 1/3 from cold, even in the Miami summer.  I have a  replacement
thermostat from Stant, and noticed that it reads 80 degrees.  I  just replaced
the old
one with the new one today, but haven't run the car yet  (blue RTV needs to
set).

What temp thermostat do you folks use?  Could this be related to the  fouling
problem?  FWIW, the radiator seems pretty new.  I run a 50:50  coolant and
water mix.

Michael
'76 Tahiti blue
CF 57044U