[6pack] Overdrive engagement

To: "Triumph 6 Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] Overdrive engagement
From: "John North" <johncnorth@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 14:26:11 -0400
My j-type overdrive won't seem to engage at lower RPMs...   When the motor
is cold and I flip the switch at 2700rpms the OD engages.   Once the engine
is hot, I can't get OD before 3300 rpms.   I flip the swtich but the OD
clutch slips (I guess - I can feel something going on but rpms don't drop)
until I flip the switch back again and continue sans OD.   Basically means
that once the engine is hot I can't get OD except on the highway

This is a Volvo conversion...  I have 90 weight gear oil in there.   I hear
that various people who know a lot about this recommend 30 weight, but it
seems like that would make things worse - wouldn't the heavier oil create
higher pressure and result in earlier engagement?

For those with ODs, what is your experience?   Is this normal behavior?   Am
I looking for something that isn't going to happen?

Any help appreciated