RE: [6pack] TRF Brake Discs

To: "Joseph Grant" <grant@bowtie6.com>, "Bob Danielson"
Subject: RE: [6pack] TRF Brake Discs
From: "Mark Hooper" <mhooper@digiscreen.ca>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 09:45:13 -0400
A disc full of countersunk holes sounds to me like one with a lot less
surface area to slow the car.

The only point for the holes that I ever saw was for rain fade
reduction. My 1977 Yamaha XS750 had solid discs. Being a motorcycle the
discs were fully exposed. In rain they would give you a looong period of
no brakes at all followed by a sudden return to function. One hell of a
formula for locking the front wheel and dropping the bike. Which I did a
couple of times until I figured out how to drive it better. Excellent
cardio-vascular exercise though. Heart rate from 70 to 250 in 1/2 a
second... Holes and slots would have helped on the bike, but not for any
reason related to normal braking operation. And in a car with the disc
protected by the wheel I can see no benefit at all. If heat is the
problem for racing, then a conversion to vented discs is the way to go
IMHO.

Mark